"Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I vow to cultivate compassion and learn ways to protect lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any killing in the world in my thinking, and in my way of life." Thich Nhat Hanh
I am vegetarian since many years and get quite often asked why I choose to become a vegetarian. So I kind of wanted to explain my reasons and thinking and help to raise awareness.
A lot of the time people say that they like meat and fish too much and couldn’t give it up. But in my opinion is not about what I like, it’s about taking responsibility of one’s actions and realizing what our consumption causes. A lot of people would agree that protecting our environment and animal world is very important, but when it comes too their dietary they ignore all this or forget about it. Vegetarianism or Veganism are basically about leading a conscious life – really considering the environmental, human, animal, health consequences of our food choices and then choosing to make choices that are in keeping with our values. At every meal, you have the opportunity to stand up for your beliefs – to cast your vote against cruelty, environmental degradation and global poverty.
The meat industry is a horrifying “business” and they are pretty good at covering their practices up. Have you noticed the happy pigs or chickens printed on the packing and it looks all nice and clean? A lot of people don’t really know or realize anymore were meat is coming from and how it got “produced”. Capitalism produces an immense pressure towards efficiency and in the meat industry this has led to the factory farm. Every effort is bent toward maximizing the output of meat and minimizing the cost. Animals are packed together so tightly that they can barely move. They are fed with hormones and antibiotics and are often mutilated while alive, and are slaughtered while still young. The factory farms have clearly opted to minimize price, because people tend to purchase the cheaper meat.
I absolutely believe that very few people would eat meat if they were required to observe the process personally or they have to do the dirty work themselves.
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian."
Sir Paul McCartney
I believe that animals have the same right to live as humans do and the right to be treated well. Animals are not a product which we can use and treat as we please. Would you kill and eat your dog or cat? Cows, pigs, chickens, bunnies they all have the same emotions and feelings, they are intelligent beings with a consciousness too. I personally think eating meat (yes, fish is also meat!) is unethical. If I don’t need to eat meat, I don’t have the right to kill an animal in order to eat it (same goes for skin and fur) and uprate my wishes over life or death of a living soul. Therefore, while there may be specific situations when it’s ok to eat meat (like standing in the middle of the Gobi desert and haven’t eaten something for 20 days), eating meat is ethically unacceptable.
Since the animals themselves eat vegetables, a vegetarian diet uses fewer resources. This is an important consideration due to the steadily increasing human population and world hunger. There is a tremendous waste of grain associated with the production of meat. A vegetarian diet helps to conserve resources and is a way of helping hungry people.
Also, livestock agriculture is a major contributor to many current environmental and public health threats, such as the destruction of tropical rainforests and other habitats, global warming, soil erosion and depletion, water shortages, air and water pollution, and the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant, disease-causing bacteria.
There are many health benefits of being vegetarian. A well balanced vegetarian diet is healthier and nutritious than a diet with meat. They are many sites where you can find more information on this particular topic. Also I noticed personally that a vegetarian diet is less expensive than a meat diet and you just feel better. There are many benefits of Vegetarianism.
If you agree with the arguments I've presented here, but can't bring yourself to become a vegetarian, don't reject the arguments for that reason. Instead, set vegetarianism as a goal, and do what you can. Even a small action is better than nothing.
In that spirit, since I’m vegetarian and not vegan yet, I admit that I do eat dairy products and eggs which may have come from factory farms, usually I check where they come from, but it’s very hard to know, if you eat in a restaurant for example. But I more and more evolve into a vegan.
I have always felt good about being a vegetarian. Putting principles and values into practice is far more valuable than hours of preaching. When people ask me why, I welcome the opportunity to explain that my vegetarian diet is for me and for the world.
More Information:
Environmental effects of meat production - Wikipedia
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
To be continued

0 Kommentare:
Post a Comment