Maybe that is the answer to what Odysseas Elytis once said … “Take me, take me to Crete and don’t, don’t ask why!” I don’t know. These words crossed my mind many times…
We have it good here in Germany. A successful life consists of a spotless career, two cars, a house and a family of four. As well as regular vacation, preferably as far away as possible. Everyone follows their daily routine. Everyone is frantically busy. Day in, day out… Tension, stress, everyone wants to be the best. The money is good. The home looks great. The family is doing fine. They possess all. But still they’re missing something and feel some kind of emptiness, don’t they?
I feel like I need to get out. I need to go. I don’t fit in here. I feel like a stranger. Everyone is so different. I tell myself.
So my fate was to bring me to Crete. Like Nikos Kazantzakis said: “Crete’s Mystery is deep. Whoever sets foot on the island senses a mysterious force branching warmly and beneficently through his veins, senses his soul begin to grow.” It’s true and this mysterious force doesn’t let go.
So I finally landed at the airport of Heraklion in Crete, Greece. Most of the fellow passengers hurry to get to the baggage claim first and get their luggage. They run to the bus which will carry them to the hotel and then get angry because they have to wait for the other people who are not there yet ... vacation stress or German everyday life?
I’m walking slowly, I absorb everything, some Greek music is playing ... Outside of the airport I notice the warm and pleasant breeze. My bus is already waiting... The driver is smiling, looks relaxed and happy. A bit exhausted but however interested, I look out of the window during the drive. I behold the passing landscapes in a state of trance. They are like an insight into a different world, a different life, a different soul. I feel calm and a deep relaxation. My spirit flies around and I can only think about this legendary and magical place, Crete…
I arrive at the hotel and I’m welcomed very friendly. Shining, brown eyes. A big, warm smile. Curious for my room and still lost in thoughts, I went down the stairs, which lead me to it directly...
All this inspired my curiosity to explore my surrounding...
I’m walking along the seaside promenade. Tavern on tavern. Here and there a smile. The brilliant sunshine, the azure sky, some little white clouds, the smell of the ocean. All this puts a spell on me. Is this still reality or am I dreaming? I want to hold this moment and caress it. The aura of my surrounding tickles my soul and warms my heart. This tranquility and relaxation here. This island … Every tree, every person, just everything radiates a pleasant warmth and hits directly my heart and touches my soul. It’s something new, quite another matter than usually. Ohh, how sensitive and tender my being is. It’s almost as if Crete is embracing my heart and soul in a strange and seductive way and doesn’t want to relinquish its hold on me, never. I feel like I‘m ruled by a new mentality. I’m not aware of my body anymore, as if my soul left the physical façade and is now fluttering around happily. Where am I? What is this?
From time to time I get observed by people. I can’t interpret this look. Is it curiosity? I look dreamy and I’m thoughtful. These people don’t go through the world sorrowful, worn out and discontented. They are happy and warm the cold heart of other people with their inner sunshine. They know how to live life and enjoy it even though they have problems too.
Swimming in the ocean I experience the diving into another new world again. This incredible combination of nature, water, light and a human being. The feeling when one floats on the waves of the sea, as if we returned into the motherly womb. Life is gliding in the ocean and one gets a feeling of self- awareness. Just the moment counts, here and now.
I’m experiencing all this and gather new impressions. I’m not aware anymore of the discontent I felt about my life some hours ago in Germany. Nothing. Even though I’m gone only some hours and still everything has changed. Is this magic? I notice how my soul is opening up and lets the sunshine in and my heart starts beating again.
In Crete the soul learns how to dance again. Here the warmth outweighs the sorrows and worries. Here the inner self is important and not the façade, the mask of prestige or success. How many beautiful things people overlook while seeking material wealth?
Time passes so fast. I don't have a real yearning for home. When I first entered this country, I had the feeling of coming home. Why should I go back? Am I not already home? Here I noticed that I live. Here I noticed that I’m on this earth to receive and give warmth and love. And under all the disappointments and injuries there still can be joy in me. Here my heart and soul come together, and embrace and unite in a warm existence. Yes, this place, Crete, carries the color of my heart, here I feel blissful, free and loosen from every leash.
As the date of leaving comes closer and closer the more my heart is full of sorrow, loneliness and fear. I’m irritated. After all everything were just small moments and just a vacation, no? How can a travel, an island, how can that be that in me blossom so much happiness, longing … and yearning. Was it just illusion or reality? Was it important or meaningless? Was it randomness or destiny? Because nothing exists and happens without a reason? Everything has a purpose, no?
Now I’m in Germany again. At home? No I feel like I’m in prison. My mind and soul don’t flutter around like a butterfly anymore. Everything seems empty and I feel empty too. I want to be somewhere else! I want to escape. I want to go back. I want to live my dream. I always think about Crete and the experiences and memories associated with. I feel it everywhere. This intense longing and yearning tears me to pieces… Daydreaming and lost in reverie. But I need these dreams, without them I couldn’t handle life.
These special and touching moments that take our breaths away. Moments of joy and sorrow. They let me see things through the glasses of luck, peace and contentment and banish the dark clouds of the past and the now and give me strength with their magic spell.
I believe that my yesterday’s dreams will be tomorrow’s reality. But my time hasn’t come yet and I need to wait till the wave arrives which carries me into a new world. That’s why I’m sitting here and writing all this. Maybe in some years I look back at this with a smile on my face.
I wrote all this when I was 15 years old, after my travel to Crete (Greece) in 2004. I tried to translate it into English now, so I can share it here. Hope you like it.
.jpg)

0 Kommentare:
Post a Comment